Below are a list of the sessions that typically are held during convention. Please contact the appropriate chair listed below if you require additional information or would like to be a presenter.
Anyone who is planning on presenting in a session should contact the chair of the appropriate session and let them know you would like to present. Please provide the subject of the presentation, the time you will require, and any audio/visual equipment you need.
Abstracts: You should also provide provide an abstract, up to 250 words, for the Conventions Program. Abstracts should be a summary of conclusions and results, not merely a statement of what the presentation is about.
When submitting abstracts, please provide each presenter’s name and email address. The presenter’s affiliation and/or mailing address can be included if desired.
Note: Abstracts will be published as submitted so please proofread them before submitting them. Abstracts longer than 250 words will be returned to be shortened.
Facilities Request Form: If you are responsible for an event please submit a “Sessions & School Facilities Questionnaire” describing your event. The questionnaire is available as a PDF form.
Deadlines: The Convention Program will be going to the printer around July 1. The following deadlines are firm and the program chairs of individual sessions must send the following to the program chair by the date shown:
- June 15, 2020 – All event descriptions, session descriptions, advertising, and any other general material for the Program must be submitted by this date. Late submissions are likely to be ignored.
- June 25, 2020 – Final session schedules and abstracts must be submitted by this date. Late submissions (even by a few hours) are unlikely to get in the Program.
2020 NSS Convention Session Information
For detailed salon information go to (https://caves.org/committee/salons)
The list below lists confirmed Convention activities. A few of the larger session have already been assigned dates, but a draft schedule for all the sessions will be posted around mid-April. This list is incomplete and additions will be made as more activities are confirmed.
- Cave Digging Session
- International Exploration (Wednesday)
- U.S. Exploration (Tuesday)
- West Virginia Exploration Session (Monday)
- Biospeleology Session
- Communications and Electronics Session
- Geology & Geography Session (Thursday)
- State Cave Surveys Session
- Survey & Cartography Session
- Survey Contest
- Cave Conservancy Round table
- Conservation & Management Session
- Charitable Giving Workshop
- Convention Debrief
- Convention Development Meeting
- International Year of Caves & Karst Meeting
- National Speleological Foundation Open Meeting
- NCKMS Steering Committee Meeting
- NSS Awards Committee Meeting
- NSS Board of Governors Meetings (Monday & Friday)
- NSS Congress of Grottos
- NSS Nature Preserves Meeting
- Project Underground Workshop
- Arts & Letters Section Lunch Meeting
- Cartography Salon
- Cave Ballad Salon
- Cave Photography Session
- Cave Photography Workshop
- Fine Arts Salon
- Fine Arts Salon Opening Reception
- Graphic Arts Salon
- Multimedia Program Salon
- Photo Salon
- Salon Display and Salon Shows
- Symbolic Emblems and T-shirts Salon
- Video Salon Self-Serve Kiosk
- Video Salon Viewing Session
- Video Section Meeting
- Writers Workshop
- Small Party Assisted Rescue (SPAR) class (tentative)
- Vertical Climbing Contests
- Vertical Rebelay Workshop
- Vertical Section Session and Meeting
- Vertical Techniques Orientation Workshop
- Amateur Radio exams
- Amateur Radio Station
- Culture of Caves, Cavers and Caving Session
- Lechuguilla Cartographers Meeting
- Lightning Talks
- Medical Section Meeting
- National Cave Rescue Committee Meeting
- Pottery Workshop/demonstration
- Spelean History Session
- Speleology for Cavers Class
- Speleophilatelic Section Meeting
As of January 30, 2020
Additional Sessions and Workshops
Additional sessions, workshops, or other activities are welcome. If you are interested in organizing an activity please notify the Program Chair to get the activity in the schedule.